SB Diver Littlejohn - Rest in Peace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our thoughts are with you John.

Last edited:
Missdirested,

I'm glad a family member was located. After reading the thread earlier I contacted a buddy of mine down there who works for the Highway patrol to help out if possible. I was on the phone with him to look up this thread to contact you by PM, but I am glad his brother was located.

Thoughts & Prayers are and have been on the way for John and his family. If you guys down there need anything else let me know.

I am glad they were able to reach his brother at least he can contact the rest of his family.
I do pray that he gets better, he is a good man.
I know he was also in a fishing club because he was just down here in late Sept.
We were not able to dive together the last time he was down here, only because he was on a tournament but we did have dinner with him one night at the a dinner /beach party with his tournament.
I will go back and see if I have any info on his fishing club/ boat club he was in.
Becky

I talked with Gerry from Jupiter Dive Center this afternoon. He took John's wallet and personal stuff over to St. Mary's this afternoon, they went through it with people from the hospital but found no contact information, and all they could tell Gerry was that he was in serious condition and on a ventilator.

I am glad to hear that they have managed to contact a relative, and I'm hoping he will recover.

Fritz, sorry to hear about John.... Can you tell us a little about the plan...?
What sites...?
Nitrox...?
Rough group SI...?

Hey Tim - I'll post all the details if/when this gets written up in the Incidents forum, but what I can say for sure right now is this: John did not violate his computer. He pushed it on that second dive, and his computer shows one segment away from deco, but he did not go over. I was not with him on the first dive, but I ascended with him on the second dive and we did do a standard three-minute stop at about 17fsw. We were with the divemaster and basically went up with her as she wound up the flag reel, so it was very controlled and gentle. Dive 1 was 70-80fsw, dive 2 was 60-70fsw, both with about 0:45 bottom time (again, I was not with him on the first dive). Area 51 and The Bluffs. 0:50 SI. We were both diving HP120's and coming up with 800psi or so. He was diving 32%, I was 35%. Seas were 2'-3', current was typical for Jupiter, viz on both dives started great but got down to only 30' or so towards the end.

He was OK at first, right after the second dive as we rested on the bench. He said he got close to deco on the second dive, but did not go over and was glad he went diving that day. 5-10 minutes later, he started to complain of difficulty breathing and that's when the DM put him on oxygen and called EMT's who were waiting for him at the dock.

That's all for now, but let me reiterate - John did not violate his computer! Not only did he tell me as much, but at the hospital they wanted details of his dive, so we accessed his computer to pull up the dive details and saw that it was one segment shy of deco.

>*< Fritz

Last edited:
his family is with him now. I'll post more soon.

Thanks for keeping us posted Fox. Our thoughts are with John and his family. This is just hard to believe. We wish him a speedy recovery.

Keith

Allen who was his dive buddy??? What was his dive profile like??? Man I hope he's going to be ok. I only met he once at Blue Springs nice guy.

I still don't know anything more about the dive except what has been posted. I just got off of the phone with his mother and she told me that John is on a ventilator and the doctors don't know if this is the result of diving or an undiagnosed heart condition. I gave her my cell phone number and she has promised to call me with any changes. He is still in ICU.

So glad to hear they found his brother. I hope he gets well soon. Having family near to hold your hand and to hear the voice of a loved one makes a big difference.

Kudo's to you guys for trying to find his family.

As a side note, on ny cell phone I have three ICE numbers listed--In Case of Emergency and have them listed as ICE Friend, ICE Neighbor, ICE Mother so that if something happens it will help the LEO's find someone who knows me. I used to keep them written on paper in my wallet until I got a phone a few years ago. Guess I should put the paper version back as well.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom