Visiting Oahu for the first time, looking for some advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking through old photos I came across this one of the M/V Sea Tiger as we were towing her offshore for reefing.
Sea-Tiger.jpg

Last dive on her was probably 2000.

Hello y'all I'm coming to visit Oahu from December 18-28th I'm going to do some dives with my girlfriend.

Can anyone recommend a good dive shop? Is there any unique dives around that certain shops will take you to/are there some operators that cater to fresh off the resort tourists and others that are geared to more adventurous types?

Also is there anyone who will take you freediving with humpbacks?

Cheers!

Sean
How was your trip? What dive shop did you use and how did you like them?

Hey thanks for asking! The trip was great! Oahu was absolutely stunningly beautiful I would love to go back one day.

We only did 2 2tank dives with Aaron's dive shop. The visibility and dives sites were great and they were very responsive to questions when we were booking with them.

I haven't done a ton of dives in my life maybe 120-140 dives, mostly in British Columbia and Central America and Mexico. But the first day and first 2 dives with them was a bit messy in my opinion, it seemed to bother my partner a bit more.

The dive briefing was very short and not the most detailed, our guide that day was swimming a bit fast and everyone was playing catch up. He also wasn't really checking in on people as well and the safety stops were almost non exsistant. Just everything seemed a bit rushed..

-Get on the boat get to the dive site and pump out the 2 dives so we can drop you guys off and grab the next group. And for over 200$ usd for a 2 tank dive I don't think I would do it again.

The 2nd day was much much better with a lot more professionalism from the staff.

I don't want to sound negative here, it's just some honest feedback.

Hey thanks for asking! The trip was great! Oahu was absolutely stunningly beautiful I would love to go back one day.

We only did 2 2tank dives with Aaron's dive shop. The visibility and dives sites were great and they were very responsive to questions when we were booking with them.

I haven't done a ton of dives in my life maybe 120-140 dives, mostly in British Columbia and Central America and Mexico. But the first day and first 2 dives with them was a bit messy in my opinion, it seemed to bother my partner a bit more.

The dive briefing was very short and not the most detailed, our guide that day was swimming a bit fast and everyone was playing catch up. He also wasn't really checking in on people as well and the safety stops were almost non exsistant. Just everything seemed a bit rushed..

-Get on the boat get to the dive site and pump out the 2 dives so we can drop you guys off and grab the next group. And for over 200$ usd for a 2 tank dive I don't think I would do it again.

The 2nd day was much much better with a lot more professionalism from the staff.

I don't want to sound negative here, it's just some honest feedback.
I love honest feedback and thank you! I may find myself in Oahu in August with a couple days free for diving. Kaimana Divers comes recommended from some folks here on SB and their dives are $139 for 2 tanks, so I'm going to give them a try. I just returned from a week in Kona, and at $195 per 2-tank dive and the reefs not being in good shape, I'll not be going back.

Back
Top Bottom