The Science of Weight + Neutral Buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The shops are wrong. 4lbs in saltwater with an AL tank and a 5mm shorty would be far more unlikely than 13.

What is your BCD?

As to the science...

Body fat has a density of around .9 (g/cc), while everything else averages out to about 1.06.

So if we take a 100kg (220lb) person with 25% body fat, we get 75x.06=4.5kg negative and 25x.1=2.5kg positive. For a net of 1kg positive. But then we have to add in 2kg positive for the typical amount of air that is left in the lungs after a normal exhale, so 3kg (6.6 pounds) positive before taking into account your gear.

This is for fresh water. Seawater has a density of around 1.027 g/cc, so every pound/kilo of lean mass contributes .033 pounds/kilos of negative bouyancy and every pound/kilo of fat contributes .127 positive.

Thus for a 190 pound person with 20% body fat. That's 38x.127 - 152x.033 + 4.4 = 4.826 - 5.016 + 4.4 = 4.21 pounds positive buoyancy. Note that none of this is as precise as the digits indicate. I'd call it "around 4 pounds".

That's the motto I need! I never put air into my jacket (unless going below 30m) and I feel like I am flying gracefully through the water with my weight setup.
You're starting the dive heavy by 5+ pounds due to the gas in your tank. If you never put air in your BC to compensate for it you're either too light or you're compensating for it entirely with your breathing. If you always finish your dives with a substantial amount of air you just might not have realized it yet but it could come back to bite you at your safety stop if you ever do finish with a nearly empty tank.

yes the less muscle, more fat and decreased bone density a diver has, the more weight they will need. Lung volume might affect things a little too. However, I have seen at least one young man who was not fat, was reasonably fit and simply required considerably more lead than you would expect.

13 lbs is not a whole lot of lead for saltwater and an aluminum tank and some wetsuit.
this is totally true

You can tell your weight is correct if you have water in your BC back on the boat.

Let me explain.

Towards the end of the dive, I am dumping air from my BC. My BC is empty the last 15 minutes of a typical reef dive.

As I ascend to the safety stop, I find myself trying to dump just a little more air to be neutral at the safety stop. If your BC is already empty, then all this does is add water to the BC.

If there is no water in my BC after a dive, then I know that I am still overweighted.

Thus for a 190 pound person with 20% body fat. That's 38x.127 - 152x.033 + 4.4 = 4.826 - 5.016 + 4.4 = 4.21 pounds positive buoyancy. Note that none of this is as precise as the digits indicate. I'd call it "around 4 pounds".
I should finish this calculation. Next is the tank. You want to be neutral with 500psi left in your tank, assuming an AL80, that's another 3 pounds positive that has to be offset. Now the wetsuit, in this case a 5mm shorty probably in XL. You'd have to measure yours with some weights, a luggage scale and enough water to sink it to be sure, but the normal approximation would be 2 pounds per mm. So that's 10 pounds for a fullsuit, maybe 7 for a shorty?

And then you have all the rest of your equipment. We don't have your info, but assuming near neutral fins and a standard BCD (approx 1 pound positive) and regs (approx 1 pound negative), this will net out within a pound or two of neutral.

Let's total it up.

4 pounds positive - body
3 pounds positive - tank
7 pounds positive - wetsuit
0 - rest of gear
------
14 pounds positive

Given that all of these numbers are approximations, your 13 pounds of lead is well within the range we would expect. And your shops guess of 4 pounds is silly, even if they think your shorty is a 3mm instead of a 5mm.

@rsingler has created a buoyancy calculator in the form of an excel sheet if you really want to analyse the amount of lead you'd theoretically need.

If you decide to take the time to complete it I'd be interested to see what the model predicts and how far off of 14lbs. it will be.

The title of this post makes it sound a lot more exciting than it's going to be, but I'm curious about body composition and how it impacts the weights you dive with to achieve neutral buoyancy.

Diver Profile:
100+ Dives
36 years old
190lbs
20% Body Fat (Acceptable)
58% Body Water (Standard)

I'm a calm diver, always relaxed in the water. I usually end Dives with plenty of air left (the same as the dive masters who are leading the tours). I share this because one theory is poor breathing technique and/or muscle stiffness, which can cause the need to carry more weight.

But with a 5mm shorty, and 5mm boots, I need 13lbs of weight. (5.89kgs)

And every dive shop I dive with is always adamant that I am wrong, that I should only need 4lbs - that I'm too stressed or breathing incorrectly etc.

At the end of the day, I don't really care what others think or say about the weights that I use.

But I am curious if there is something to do with body science that impacts all of this.

Appreciate any thoughts or theories from the community.

Cheers,

Joe

The Key to Effortless Diving
Welcome, fellow divers, to the exhilarating world beneath the waves! As you embark on your underwater adventures, there's one fundamental skill that can transform your diving experience: trim position. Often overlooked but essential for safety, efficiency, and enjoyment, mastering trim position is the hallmark of a skilled diver. Join us as we explore the importance of trim position in scuba diving and uncover the secrets to achieving perfect balance underwater.

Understanding Trim Position:
Trim position refers to the horizontal alignment of a diver's body in the water, akin to the streamlined posture of an airplane in flight. In trim position, the diver's body is parallel to the surface of the water, with the head, shoulders, hips, and fins in alignment. Achieving and maintaining trim position is essential for optimal buoyancy control, propulsion efficiency, and hydrodynamic performance underwater.

The Importance of Trim Position in Scuba Diving:

Buoyancy Control:
Being in trim position facilitates precise buoyancy control, allowing divers to maintain a constant depth with minimal effort. Proper trim reduces the need for constant adjustments to buoyancy devices, conserving air and prolonging dive time.
Propulsion Efficiency: In trim position, divers experience minimal resistance as they move through the water, maximizing propulsion efficiency and minimizing energy expenditure. This streamlined posture reduces drag and allows for smooth, effortless movement underwater.
Safety and Comfort: Trim position enhances safety and comfort during dives by promoting stability and balance. Divers in trim position are less likely to experience accidental ascents or descents, collisions with underwater obstacles, or entanglements with marine life.
Photography and Videography: For underwater photographers and videographers, trim position is essential for capturing clear, steady footage. Maintaining a stable, level platform allows for precise framing, focus, and composition, resulting in stunning underwater imagery.

Tips for Achieving and Maintaining Trim Position:

Proper Weighting:
Achieving proper buoyancy and trim begins with proper weighting. Conduct a buoyancy check at the beginning of each dive to ensure you are neither overweighted nor underweighted, and adjust your weight distribution as needed.
Body Positioning: Focus on maintaining a horizontal body position in the water, with the head, shoulders, hips, and fins in alignment. Keep your limbs relaxed and extended, avoiding excessive movement that can disrupt trim.
Breathing Control: Use controlled breathing to fine-tune your buoyancy and maintain trim position. Inhale slowly and deeply to ascend slightly, and exhale gradually to descend, making small adjustments as needed to achieve neutral buoyancy.
Equipment Configuration: Ensure your scuba gear is properly configured and streamlined to minimize drag and promote trim. Secure hoses, gauges, and accessories close to your body to reduce unnecessary protrusions and potential entanglements.

Mastering trim position is the hallmark of a skilled diver, enhancing safety, efficiency, and enjoyment underwater. By achieving and maintaining proper trim, divers can optimize buoyancy control, propulsion efficiency, and hydrodynamic performance, unlocking the full potential of their underwater adventures. So, dive in, embrace trim, and let the ocean be your playground of exploration and discovery!

My thought about buoyancy and trim, the two most important skills when i come to being a good scuba diver. Read more about diving on our website www.weareosea.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom