Suunto Vyper going crazy after battery change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alwayssummer

Fish out of Water
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just changed the battery on my Suunto Vyper, which I bought in 2009. I got so far as setting the time and had just set the units when it went into dive mode and immediately starting throwing all sorts of alarms. It was registering depths of up to 150m, along with the associated warnings you would expect with random depth changes. I just pulled out the battery and am thinking my computer is probably dead. I'm in Cancun, which means ordering a new one online is probably not going to work. I tried giving it a good rinse (about 5m in fresh water with gentle cleaning of the underwater sensor pins) but that didn't help.

What do y'all advise?

I have a video of this which I can upload as soon as I figure out how to do that, but I'm also not 100% sure it tells us much more than the above.

Unfortunately, I think that is what typically happens when the depth sensor goes belly up. It could have been the very act of changing he battery that caused it to go over the edge.

I would suggest removing the battery, what 24 hours, and reinstall it to see if it still does it just in case it was a glitch of some kind. If it still does it, your DC is probably cooked.

Unfortunately, I think that is what typically happens when the depth sensor goes belly up. It could have been the very act of changing he battery that caused it to go over the edge.

I would suggest removing the battery, what 24 hours, and reinstall it to see if it still does it just in case it was a glitch of some kind. If it still does it, your DC is probably cooked.
I dropped the battery back in this morning and it's behaving. Even if it I can't use it as a DC anymore, at least now I can furiously scribble down everything from the logbook (because I don't have the USB cable). I'll be happy to have that stuff in my log.

It may be fine if it is behaving at the moment. However, at the age that it is, if it were me, I'd be shopping for a new computer. It would be terrible to go on a dive trip and have it freak out on the firs dive. Then you'd have to rent one that you would probably be unfamiliar with.

Hopefully it will at least operate normally until you do get all your logbook information written down.

I wonder if during the battery change, it was not set quite right.

Back
Top Bottom