Shearwater Tern and Tern TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With the type of transmitter Shearwater (and several others) uses, there is not really "pairing". The transmitter has no clue about anything outside itself. I.e. it does not know anything about any computer that is receiving data from it - or if there is even a computer listening to it. The computer is set to listen for that particular serial number (of that transmitter) and that's it.

As long as the computer doesn't lose/forget that serial number (of the transmitter), then it will always "hear" the transmissions from that transmitter and show you the corresponding tank pressure. Unless something breaks, of course. E.g. the AI antenna in the Tern breaks, or something.

The only way the "pairing" should ever be lost is if the computer undergoes a total factory reset. Or you manually change or delete the serial number in the Tern, of course.

Very cool that it got you more interested. It is REALLY good to be very aware of how much faster off-gassing occurs in that last 10 - 15 feet of your ascent, versus all the prior ascent time.

But, just for the record, if you're on the bottom for just about any amount of time, then there is off-gassing happening from the moment you start up. It just happens a lot more slowly (in much simplified terms) when the tissue pressure is really close to the ambient pressure.

Off-gassing happens more rapidly as the difference in pressure between where you "were" and where you "are" gets bigger. If you go from 60' to 55', very little off-gassing happens. I.e. it is slow. That is because ambient pressure only changed from 2.82 ATA to 2.67 ATA. That's roughly a 5% decrease. If you go from 15' to 10', then it's 1.45 ATA to 1.30. Roughly a 10% decrease.

And when you go from 10' to the surface, that is 1.30 to 1.0 - a 23% decrease! Off-gassing happens SO much more quickly in that last 10'!
Thanks for the info. My comment was based on the graph of each dive that's produced in the Shearwater app. It seems to indicate 'zero' off gassing until the depths I mentioned. Your ratio examples make sense.👌

Thanks for the info. My comment was based on the graph of each dive that's produced in the Shearwater app. It seems to indicate 'zero' off gassing until the depths I mentioned. Your ratio examples make sense.👌

@Triple C, enjoy Jardines de la Reina, Cuba. I loved it back in 2015 with Avalon. I hope it is still extremely healthy, colourful, and full of big life.

I am in the market for a new dive computer and was leaning towards the Tern TX, but am a little concerned about the seemingly easy scratches people are getting (even if just on the screen protector), and the lack of a protective bezel.

I'm wondering if installing another better screen protector on top or replacing the original would help. I still have some Zagg HD Invisible Shield sheets that are really good, although I use it with an acrylic (?) cover on my XDeep Black.

I've considered moving to a Teric, but I'm not sure if the battery issues are totally worked out.

I was hoping for a Peregrine 2 or upgraded Peregrine with a screen size in between the Teric and Peregrine (like my fading Black), and ability to use bungee for the strap.

For those of you that have the Tern (or Teric), how is the readability u/w, particularly for those becoming far sighted (like me)?

Thanks for your thoughts...

The Tern and Teric both use OLED screens. They are the most readable screens I’ve seen on any dive computers.

I also don’t have perfect vision. I wear contacts for my distance vision and glue-in +1 readers in my mask for my computers and camera. It works great for me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom