Say goodbye to the "Snorkel" at Blue Hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To give an idea of the composition of the cave floor at those upper levels....

The last afternoon we worked before the fatal dive, I had the job of going in solo and clearing out the opening as much as I could because the teams going in were always creating falling debris as they entered. I would be solo because I was expected to make one darn huge silt cloud. I had a specific amount of time to come out before they sent people in after me.

I started by moving rocks from the area around the line over to the far sides to get them out of the way. When it came time for me to exit, I went to a point about 15 feet below the entrance, stuck my arms into the rocks and silt about up to my elbows, and I pulled backwards, throwing as much as I could up behind me, The idea was that the silt cloud I was making would be blown out into the main area by the flow coming up from below. I repeated that process over and over as I made my way toward the entrance, my eyes focused on the halo of light in the surrounding silt cloud. Eventually when I reached for more silt, there was nothing but air. I was out of the cave, but there was no way I could tell visually.

On another occasion when I was working in that area, the silt suddenly became very thick, and I couldn't see a thing. I just held still, knowing it would clear out before too long. I could see a Shearwater computer near my face, but it wasn't mine. I knew it had to be on somebody's arm, but I couldn't see the arm. It turned out to be Shane doing a deco stop. Mike had passed me on the other side without my knowing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom