Poll: Pressure Gauge Failure

Have you ever had a Pressure Indicator Failure - (multiple choice)

• Yes, SPG

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Yes, Air Integrated

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Yes, Wireless/Hoseless

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • No, Never

Votes: 13 54.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

newman_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This stems from another post and curiosity has led me to gather some hard facts on the topic. I want to find out which pressure indicating device has the highest percentage of failures, using the parameters laid out for each failure.

SPG - Burst Hose, O-ring blow out, no indication of pressure

Air Integrated - Burst hose, O-ring blow out, no indication of pressure

Hoseless/Wireless - O-ring blow out (TX), loss of signal (partial or complete)

An indication of no, never will not indicate which method we use to monitor gas. So a dead reliable SPG, or dead reliable AI will not be differentiated.

Only on worn out rentals in Cozumel

An indication of no, never will not indicate which method we use to monitor gas. So a dead reliable SPG, or dead reliable AI will not be differentiated.

Good point. The no isn't quite relevant to what I am hoping to draw from the poll. I want to measure the % of failures.

Um, if you are trying to get the percentage of failures than the nos are very relevant. The percentage of failures would be:
# failures
-------------------------
# failures + # non-failures

And really the poll could only get the percentage of people who have had failures which is a fairly weak corollary to the percentage of device failures (i.e. some might have had more than one). And since the real question is "What is the likelihood of a failure on any given dive" you'd also need to take into account how many dives have been done on the equipment (i.e. one would expect that someone would 10,000 dives would have experienced more equipment failures than someone with 10).

I would think you'd need the % of the population which uses each method to determine reliability for each method...

Anyway, I've had the face of a SPG halfway pop off when pressurizing the system.

All the best, James

I've had hoses crack, o-rings at the second stage go, but never a SPG. I guess if you dropped it on a hard surface or banged it with a tank (in otherwords abused it) it could fail.
What I found lacking in the poll was the number of dives the respondants had done. Certainly a new diver would have had less opportunity to find a failure while a more seasoned dive would have had more opportunity. I don't know how one would word that for a poll?

I've got a couple of flooded SPG's 4 or 5
2 exploded ones,does that count,it's not in the poll.

BTW.here is where most if not all agencies go wrong,they all seem to tell you to put a SPG face down and put your foot on it or hold it face down against your tank.

Well thats the way NOT to do it.:no:
Look at the back of any modern SPG,there's a small, mostly black plastic plug in there.That's an overpressure relieve port.
IF the inner workings of a SPG give way,that plug is comming out of there like a bullit.(I've seen it happen.)

As for the rest,I had 1 exploding HP hose.But thats just a loud bang,nothing more.

edit: I did have some missreadings on my PP2,but they where all caused by water in the quick disconnect.

You're not going to get the percentage of failures anyway, since people can answer multiple ways and there is no way of indicting how many times each person has had each kind of failure, nor how many times each person's device had an opportunity to fail (i.e. # of failures vs # of times used).

I have had a number of air integrated computers fail, and know of quite a few more from dive buddies, only one while diving though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom