New Diver, New Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I am relatively new to diving and am looking to get my first wrist mounted computer.

I am looking at the basic range provided they can do air and nitrox..

I have narrowed it down to 3 or so in my price range and am now looking for some advice, first hand experience, thoughts on what to avoid or go for.

the ones I am looking at are:

Suunto Zoop

Mares Puck Pro

Cressi Leonardo

A friend has recommended to me that I go with the Zoop, looking for some other opinions based on facts etc :)

Thanks Dave

Not sure what the current feature set of the zoop is -- older versions didn't even have gauge mode, that's a bit of a problem. Puck Pro has more features than the Leonardo, including electrical PC uplink vs Leonardo's infrared. On top of that LeisurePro is showing me a rather nice price on them, they may show you one too, even with shipping to NZ.

As for facts I've a leonardo and I like it fine for my vacation diving: a week of 2-3-rarely 4-tank days on air in warm clear water, with a long break afterward. No deeper than 30m and/or no longer than an hour so far.

Call leisure pro instead of just ordering online. Just ask them about there best price, they will typically give you the lowest sale price for the 6 months. My Suunto d4i was on the web site for 625. I called and got it for 399!!!

Hi dave of welly,

This 1st computer question is asked all the time. Most new divers don't know enough to research the decompression algorithm their computer is using. As all the current computers offer essentially the same features, this is one differentiating factor. The 3 computers you list all use one of the proprietary RGBM algorithms, for which details are not readily available. The RGBM computers are on the conservative side and will generally give you shorter NDLs. In addition, they tend to penalize you for practices that are not well documented. In addition, unless you plan on not downloading your dives, you must always include the download cable in the purchase price. Alternatives to the computers you listed would be the Oceanic Geo 2, a watch size computer, and the Oceanic Veo 2, a puck size computer. The Oceanic line offers dual algorithm and you can choose between DSAT (basis for PADI RDP) and PZ+ (variant of Buhlmann ZHL-16C). The DSAT algorithm is one of the more liberal, PZ+ is more middle of the road.

Using Leisurepro as a source, the advertised prices would be (computer + download cable):
Suunto Zoop 195+85=280
Mares Puck Pro 170+50= 220
Cressi Leonardo 200+100=300
Oceanic Geo 2 250+65=315
Oceanic Veo 2 230+65+=295

The choice is yours, do your research and make you choice.

Good luck and good diving, Craig

Call leisure pro instead of just ordering online. Just ask them about there best price, they will typically give you the lowest sale price for the 6 months. My Suunto d4i was on the web site for 625. I called and got it for 399!!!

a) LP site is known to show different prices based on your GeoIP and s/he's in New Zealand, and b) s/he's in New Zealand.

Their other trick is if you put a "price alert" on something they may e-mail you an offer.

I use the Mares Puck and find no issues with the computer being 'conservative', in practice I do not find the computer limits the dive vs the buddy with the more liberal computer. I run dives and log the NDL for a set 'max' depth before all dives (club procedure) we do not see significant variation given similar dive profiles/gas mix.

In features there is not a lot of difference between the Puck and Puck Pro, also there is not a lot of difference in the price.

I am in Aus, and I see the Puck Pro at Leisurepro as $US169.95, postage is $US60.10 that's about $305. I can buy on eBay for $AU247.83 with free shipping!

The Puck Pro uses a different cable to the Puck, it clips on and I don't think you will find one for $US50. Best I see on-line is about $AU80 but postage isn't listed. I see a package Puck Pro and cable for $AU277.65 about $US209.

I am not a fan of the Zoop (sorry) I find the multi button set-up to be poor on this computer. The buttons change 'effect' at different stages and at times need to have 'long' presses. Our club uses these as the hire devise so I see a number of divers having problems and need to help them use the computer.

I am in the same position right now.

I have considered the Leonardo for a while but after reading that article and seen the test results here: http://ads.bonniercorp.com/scuba/PDF/ScubaLab-Computer-Test-September-2014-data.pdf

I can conclude that the algorythm they use is causing really short NDL at the 4th dive (much shorter than all other computers). For 1st and 2nd dive there is not much of a difference.

I am getting a very good rebate this weekend for a Mares Smart and I think the features are OK and the NDL are more in the average range than the Leonardo.

I can conclude that the algorythm they use is causing really short NDL at the 4th dive (much shorter than all other computers). For 1st and 2nd dive there is not much of a difference.

You need to be a little carful with words. The NDL is shorter than other computers given this particular set of dive profiles. The NDL isn't necessarily 'really short' the others could be long!

Would you ever dive that profile of dives? 4 dives done in just over 5 hours? The last dive is a little short but I would find that a tuff mornings diving.

Saying all that you are correct that the Cressi Leonardo appears in those tests to be the most conservative computer.

Last edited:
I have considered the Leonardo for a while but after reading that article and seen the test results here: http://ads.bonniercorp.com/scuba/PDF/ScubaLab-Computer-Test-September-2014-data.pdf

I can conclude that the algorythm they use is causing really short NDL at the 4th dive (much shorter than all other computers).

That "test" is a complete and utter bulls**t. We've just finished a 7-day trip: 2-3 dives/day with the deepest to 30 m, diving air. We use Leonardos, there were a couple of Zoops (the other "scary conservative" computer) and DMs were just using their watches. Nobody in our group has been limited by their NDL. It was "500 psi or 60 minutes whichever comes first" every single dive.

If I were buying now I'd pick Puck Pro over Leonardo for electrical vs infrared uplink and somewhat more generous limits.

The debate over conservative vs. liberal computers has been played out on SB on numerous occasions. The point I raise is that new computer buyers may want to be aware of the wide variation in decompression algorithms prior to making a significant investment. Many new divers know little to nothing about the decompression algorithms used in the computers they are considering.

Beginning and less experienced divers probably have their dive time limited by gas more commonly than by NDL. As gas consumption improves with experience, NDL may become more important. With deeper and longer dives, multiple dives per day, and, at times, shorter surface intervals, the differences between decompression algorithms can be quite significant. As has been said many times, you can dive a liberal computer more conservatively, there's nothing you can do to make a conservative computer more liberal.

The ScubaLab testing is not worthless. Multiple recreational dives are simulated in a hyperbaric chamber. This is one of the few objective examples of the performance of these computers in repetitive diving and trumps any anecdotal experience. The NDL tables in the back of computer manuals are all 1st dive only. The 4 recreational dives and surface intervals were conservative enough that none of the computers were put into deco. A few more minutes at depth would have put the most conservative computer in the test, the Cressi Leonardo, into deco, especially on the 3rd and 4th dive.

I'm only trying to help new buyers be informed consumers. Best of luck to everyone in their computer purchases.

Back
Top Bottom