Lungfish Rebreather...For what it's Worth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rose Robinson

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Friends,

I have recently been in discussion with a firm in the UK, who produces the new? Lungfish CCR.

I approached them as a very enthused, hopeful, prospective buyer.

The rebreather comes with two small cylinders, (Dil/Oxygen) which are neither DOT or TC certified, and all the thread fittings, cylinders/first stage regulators are European M series threads.

I advised the associate during our discussions, that I would use my own cylinders and if the first stage regulators can be changed from M series to DIN. He said he could do that.

I then asked if local support, (South West BC) was available he assured me there was local support.

I was then advised, my new rebreather would be shipped directly to me, complete, minus O2 sensors. Sensors would be forwarded to the instructor in my local area.

Sensors for the Lungfish rebreather are proprietary to the Lungfish and manufactured by Analytical Industries.

Long story short, after much discussion, what I was told was a complete lie, From all I could gather, there is no support for this rebreather anywhere, other than maybe locally in the UK where this rebreather is built.

This very unscrupulous person, was going to ship a rebreather to me, UK to BC, knowing full well that there was absolutely nothing I could do with this device.

I am writing this as information to all, and suggesting proceeding with caution if anyone here intends to contact this firm.

LOL, Rose

wow, sounds odd. i've met the guy behind the lungfish and i know it's been in development for years and just got CE certification.
I did like the way the lung size is set during setup by blowing into it and closing some velcro retainers that limit the size.

I did like the way the lung size is set during setup by blowing into it and closing some velcro retainers that limit the size.
Sounds like a total cludge to me. Just more things to go wrong. Like rebreathers need that.

I learned about this unit last week as it was apparently sent to a hyperbaric facility in Vancouver to obtain CE certification. So since I never heard of it I went to the Lungfish website and the more I read, the less I liked.

Friends,

I have recently been in discussion with a firm in the UK, who produces the new? Lungfish CCR.

I approached them as a very enthused, hopeful, prospective buyer.

The rebreather comes with two small cylinders, (Dil/Oxygen) which are neither DOT or TC certified, and all the thread fittings, cylinders/first stage regulators are European M series threads.

I advised the associate during our discussions, that I would use my own cylinders and if the first stage regulators can be changed from M series to DIN. He said he could do that.

I then asked if local support, (South West BC) was available he assured me there was local support.

I was then advised, my new rebreather would be shipped directly to me, complete, minus O2 sensors. Sensors would be forwarded to the instructor in my local area.

Sensors for the Lungfish rebreather are proprietary to the Lungfish and manufactured by Analytical Industries.

Long story short, after much discussion, what I was told was a complete lie, From all I could gather, there is no support for this rebreather anywhere, other than maybe locally in the UK where this rebreather is built.

This very unscrupulous person, was going to ship a rebreather to me, UK to BC, knowing full well that there was absolutely nothing I could do with this device.

I am writing this as information to all, and suggesting proceeding with caution if anyone here intends to contact this firm.

LOL, Rose
I hope that this cost you nothing more than a lot of wasted time. I've tried contacting Lungfish about a couple of their other products but have not had any replies to either email or facebook messenger, I eventually managed to contact one of their key people via facebook and got one reply - and then no reply to my follow up message.

Regarding the lungfish rebreather I am struggling to see what advantage it has over any other rebreather that is already well established in the marketplace.

Y'all don't hate, but why would anyone go for a breather that has gained limited market traction while providing no niche capabilities?

What's wrong with the usual suspects that have a decent market share and support network? When I look at Lungfish CCR I don't see anything special.

Y'all don't hate, but why would anyone go for a breather that has gained limited market traction while providing no niche capabilities?

What's wrong with the usual suspects that have a decent market share and support network? When I look at Lungfish CCR I don't see anything special.
That's pretty much what I see with the Lungfish too - nothing new or unique about it, probably bum heavy as both cylinders are horizontal at the bottom, and they aren't responding to emails etc. Go with a known rebreather that has good customer support - there are plenty of them out there.

I've had one for 2 years. Good support in South Florida, though the electronics are potted, so it needs to be sent back to the U.K. for updates.

I've dived a JJCCR and rEVO before the Lungfish. I don't think it's fair to say there's nothing new or unique about it. There are certainly some advantages:

• Weight -- it's one of the lightest and most compact back-mounted units, excellent for travel
  • Versatility -- it can be dived back-mounted or chest-mounted (can thus also be used as a bail out rebreather)
  • Solid state co2 sensor -- few other units have one, and this one.. works? I've never had false positives, but it certainly picks up on when the scrubber has a break through or has been spent.
  • The counterlung volume can be adjusted during setup to closely match your lung volume. This is quite nice.
  • No t-pieces on the loop, single loop like on the R-evo, lungs are back-mounted
What I don't like as much:
  • proprietary controller (that isn't a deco computer). Also, batteries need to be charged after 6-8 hours diving
  • tank mounting is funky -- default is to have both o2 and dil in 2l tanks below the unit. I've never dived it this way -- set up instead with the o2 tank below the unit and dil/out side-mounted.
  • Cannister lid is a pain to close, need to kneel on top of the unit
  • If you want to dive it in a more conventional setup with 2l or 3l dil and oxigen tanks on either side, it becomes extremely wide.
  • No real ability to use larger tanks like LP50s unless side-mounted.
  • BCD is recreational style, with a bungied wing, and cannot really be replaced with a backplate and harness + standard wing because the back-mounted counter lungs need to be very close to your back (similar situation with rEVO). I have however managed to at least replace it with continuous webbing. (If you dive the chest-mounted configuration, you can use it with an xdeep stealth or hollis katana 2 harness just fine).
I don't really have time to dive CCR these days with a newborn in the house.. so if anyone's interested in trying out a somewhat unusual but innovative and very travel-friendly rebreather, shoot me a DM. I'd be willing to release it to a good home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom