How do I set up a deployable ascent line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

is used to signal an emergency where you need assistsance (gas); a lost anchorline typically wouldn't be an emergency and you're unnecessarily (hopefully) putting a crew member in the water by using one.
I shoot a yellow bag for assistance needed - red for everything else
Listen to the briefing.
operators have their own protocols - as @acxc says the briefing is important - as long as theres a clearly understood plan between divers and crew it will reduce screw ups

As others have said, it depends on where you are diving and what local norms are. For instance, off southeast Florida most dives aren’t moored, so folks do drift deco (shoot a bag, drift with it, boat comes to get you when you’re done). Other places you are going to stay put, and ascend up the same moored line you used for your descent.

I like the DiveRite 75 lb lift bag.

As others have said, it depends on where you are diving and what local norms are. For instance, off southeast Florida most dives aren’t moored, so folks do drift deco (shoot a bag, drift with it, boat comes to get you when you’re done). Other places you are going to stay put, and ascend up the same moored line you used for your descent.

I like the DiveRite 75 lb lift bag.
Got into an argument on here once from someone claiming all dives from a boat should be drift dives, lol. Try that in a heavily trafficked shipping channel (like it is here). Would never work.

It's different all over.

Reels are prone to tangling and falling apart. Spools are foolproof.
Hmmm. I've never used a spool. (Can a spool load as much wreck line as a primary cave reel?) I continue to use the same two very basic reels (a primary reel and a back-up reel) that I purchased new in 1988 for the NACD/NSS-CDS Cavern and Basic Cave cert courses I took in the Ginnie Springs FL area. Never had an issue.

rx7diver

I assume I'd need slightly thicker line as well.
Like everyone said above.....It just depends how the local diver procedures happen. When it comes to line choices, Nylon is less than half the cost of Dyneema >>>but it's twice as heavy and less fits on the reel/spool. We've switched to 2.1 Dyneema which has 3 times the strength and can fit 300 ft instead of 150ft of nylon braid on a medium reel. It winds up nicely without kinks & twists but it's tiny if you want to hand grab it. It doesn't absorb water and it doesn't wear out like nylon braid. All that said,,start cheap and replace it when it breaks with the good stuff .

Like everyone said above.....It just depends how the local diver procedures happen. When it comes to line choices, Nylon is less than half the cost of Dyneema >>>but it's twice as heavy and less fits on the reel/spool. We've switched to 2.1 Dyneema which has 3 times the strength and can fit 300 ft instead of 150ft of nylon braid on a medium reel. It winds up nicely without kinks & twists but it's tiny if you want to hand grab it. It doesn't absorb water and it doesn't wear out like nylon braid. All that said,,start cheap and replace it when it breaks with the good stuff .
We have had a few (scuba) divers tell us that this dymena line is very nice for that application. This particular line has a somewhat stiff external jacket which makes the line MUCH easier to handle and less likely to tangle underwater. With extreme abrasion resistance and over 650-lb test, this 1.9 mm line comes in several colors, some of which are high visibility. As you mentioned this line is not inexpensive, but should perform much better than nylon braid line which typically comes with dive reels.

We offer this line primarily for spearfishing applications where extreme abrasion resistance and strength are required. As you know, it is used on the reel of a speargun and also sometimes for the shooting line between the spear and the gun. This application is very demanding with large fish dragging the line across, for example a wreck. It is not as stiff as monofilament (fishing) line, but is much, much tougher and should handle anything a scuba diver could be expected to throw at it.

this is some info that Google throws up when you search for this line:

Is UHMWPE stronger than steel?

UHMWPE is a kind of fiber made from polyethylene with a relative molecular weight of 1 million to 5 million, which is currently the strongest and lightest fiber in the world. It is 15 times stronger than steel wire but very light in weight, and it is 40 percent lighter at most than materials such as aramid.Dec 27, 2023

Is Dyneema the same as UHMWPE?

UHMWPE stands for ultra high molecular weight polyethylene.
You may also hear it referred to as HMPE, or by brand names such as Spectra, Dyneema or Stealth Fibre. UHMWPE is used in high-performance lines across a variety of industries, including marine, commercial fishing, mountaineering, and aquaculture.Jul 20, 2021

Back
Top Bottom