Help me plan my honeymoon!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTerp

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My fiance and I are getting married in July, and one of my jobs is taking care of the honeymoon. Her primary requirements are sun, sand, and blue water, but she's also expressed an interest in diving. Our plan is to get her OW in the spring, and if she likes it enough possibly go for AOW as well. There is a risk that she may try the class but decide she hates diving, but I sincerely doubt that will be the case.

What I'm looking for are some general suggestions on where to go. Ideally we'd like something that's all-inclusive or at least heavily inclusive. Something close to the beach is mandatory. This won't be specifically a diving trip. Right now we're incredibly open so any suggestions you have would be appreciated. Our priorities are good amenities, great food, and as little hassle as possible.

To get an idea of what I'm looking at right now, I was thinking of a resort like the Pompano Beach Club in Bermuda. But I'm completely open at this point. Incidentally has anyone been to Hamanasi Adventure in Belize? How's that place?

EDIT: One question I have; what's the difference between high season and low season in the different areas? For example, why are the summer months so cheap in Belize?

First of all, congrats on the upcoming nuptials. As for the honeymoon I would strongly suggest Belize. I have been fortunate enough to visit a number of salt water locals and think that you both would greatly enjoy a trip to Belize. I personally dive as much as I can anywhere I go near water and while my wife is an instinctive diver and really enjoys it she does enjoy other activities as well when we travel.

On our honeymoon we spent 4 day on Ambergris at Ramon's Village and had a great time. The diving is set up for ALL skill levels and offers trips out to the Blue Hole as well. Also, San Pedro is a very easy walking distance and is a lot of fun. We then flew back to Belize City and were picked up at the airport by a driver from Lamanai Resort. He drove us to a river in Northern Belize were we loaded onto a boat for about an hour long sightseeing trip up the river to the resort. At the resort you are on a large lagoon full of wildlife and within walking distance of Mayan ruins. They offer numerous ecological and historical excursions. Everything at Lamanai is included in the package price.

I would suggest you look at something such as this in that it really offers diversity without you feeling that you are constantly rushing from one thing to the next. The biggest mistake you can make on your honeymoon is to be too busy. Set a relaxed pace and enjoy the scenery.

As for the prices it is strictly a result of the fact that people like to go to warm places in the winter and do not want to leave hot weather for hotter/humid weather in the summer. It is simple supply and demand. As the demand goes up in the winter so do the prices. Demand is down in the summer and therefore prices follow.

I hope this has been helpful and if you would like to see pics of our trip just PM me and I will be happy to send them.

Do you need help with the first night or the location? :)

Sorry, Bermuda is great! The sands pink and the atmosphere is just wonderful. I've stayed at the Elbow Beach Surf Club (Surf-side Beach Hotel), the Southampton Princess (Fairmont) and the Reefs.

Flights are easily available. Dive Bermuda is located at the Southampton Princess, but you'll need a thicker wet suit come the winter months. Transportation is easy (cab or scooter rental which is fun) and it's safe and has a British flavor. Pubs are pleantiful and the atmosphere is a romantic one. You'll have a great time.

Congratulations on your engagement! Hamanasi is the ideal place for both divers and not-so-avid divers. We are located on the mainland. Everyday we dive the Southern Barrier Reef and, if there are enough people, we dive all 3 of Belize's atolls. We offer a both OW and AOW courses. Your soon-to-be wife might like to try a Discover Scuba class first. If she likes it she can just carry on with a full OW class. Belize diving is easy as there are not many strong currents and lots of great shallow reefs at the top of walls.

Each day we do inland trips to Mayan ruins, Jaguar Preserve, caves, waterfalls, etc. So, if she doesn't like diving -- or you both want to take a day off the water -- there are plenty of other things to do. You get to experience the best of Belize without having to change hotels. Our accommodations are very comfortable and our treehouses are very romantic!

Historically, not as many people came to Belize in the summer/low season months. This is because it is the rainy season. That said, the days are typically very nice, especially in July, but it does rain at night -- which is great for sleeping! Our prices are lower in low season, but we are still very full during the summer months.

We'd love to host you! Please send us an email at info@hamanasi.com and we can send you more information!

The Hamanasi Team

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom