greetings! Headed to Cuba..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A friend and I had a great time in Playa Giron before Covid. We dove with Centro Internacional de Buceo (International Blue Dive Center on GMaps). The diving was not super remarkable but suited for beginners and the dive shop was well-run, everyone was in a very good mood. In general, Playa Giron was nice to stay at and just chill out.
General tips: Cuba has so much to offer, I loved it there! Forget Varadero unless you literally just want to laze around a hotel pool, nothing to see there. Dive trips offered from those hotels usually take you all the way South, anyways.
For acommodation, we only pre-booked two nights in Havana and from there, anywhere we went people were offering casas particulares at the long-haul bus stops when we were getting off. Worked super well during the shoulder season. You sounds like you're somewhat adventourous so that might be just the thing for you. Things might be different now because they're in times of crisis. But in any case anything you're going to book through Airbnb or Booking etc. will be loads more expensive.
Bring cash, try to get your hands on the local currency CUP for street food and don't listen to the haters. Speaking Spanish you won't have any problems, anyways. As soon as I opened my mouth speaking Spanish, people's attitudes changed completely :D For nice nature check out Viñales.
P. S.: If you're planning to travel around the country on your own by bus or car, bring loads of snacks. You won't be able to just buy stuff for the road in Cuba. Also bring anything you can to leave to the people such as menstrual products, cosmetics, pain meds etc. Leave that to any nice people that you meet, they will highly appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom