Question Egypt Safety due ongoing War in the region

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are basically risk adverse.

Part of that is the fact that there are not many people from the US that visit Dahab.

The first time we went there in 2019, we met a woman from the US who said that we were the first Americans that she had seen in 6 months. We have actually never seen another person from the US on any of our other trips there.

Most of the people that we have taken on trips to Dahab wouldn't go by themselves, but were willing to go in a large group. That was before the current situation. Now none of those people will go.

There used to be a lot of Israelis in Dahab due to the close proximity to Eilat. I am not sure how it is now.

It not that Egypt is getting targeted. It's the close proximity. One drone crashed into the mountains near Dahab. Another was shot down near there. Eilat is periodically getting attacked by the Houthi's. Dahab is just down the road from Eilat. Now the latest with Rafah. We drove from Dahab to Cairo in two buses last year. Security going up there and under the Suez Canal was extremely tight. I cannot image what it is like now.

Each to their own level of risk I suppose. I'm going back out to Sharm in July and probably again in Sept - with no qualms.​

Sharm next week and very much looking forward to it! :cool:

I look at it as opportunity to get bargains with less crowds there.

Maybe. Or you might be mauled by desperate locals at every footstep. If you must walk through a den of lions, would you rather they be well fed or starving to death?

Absolutely. I was on a liveaboard in March with a grand total of 6 divers. On a boat that can accommodate 22. I felt bad for the operator, but it was bliss. A low-end boat with so few passengers provides a more upmarket experience, typically.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom