Diving in the San Juan Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hear Deception Pass is a great place for diving, LOL
It absolutely is! Most life I have seen in th sound and easy shore dives ar Rosario Beach.

I'm temporarily relocating to the area for a few years and definitely looking forward to exploring, including Deception Pass.

I'm temporarily relocating to the area for a few years and definitely looking forward to exploring, including Deception Pass.
Fire me a DM and I am happy to share the local info I have.

While DP has been dived by some for many years, I would not recommend it publicly due to a tight combination of objective and human factors.

The chance of mis-timing it seems to go up exponentially with the number of people who show up, especially on the few occasions when ill-fated 'club dives' see a dozen+ people show up with little to no experience at the site. Descending even 10-15 minutes too early based on the wrong cues can and has resulted in torn drysuits, lost fins, ragdolling divers. Slack time is also when a dozen or more boats race through the tight passage.

Fire me a DM and I am happy to share the local info I have.
Took me too long to realize DM was direct message. I was wondering what divemaster you wanted fired....

I've done a lot of research diving in the San Juans, generally out of a boat. Currents are a big deal, especially at the best dive sites you've never heard of. Make sure not to just use a tide guide and assume slack current is at the moment of low tide or high tide. Often it isn't. Use a current table, and even then be ready with a plan if the current picks up.

While DP has been dived by some for many years, I would not recommend it publicly due to a tight combination of objective and human factors.

I lived a mile from DP for many years.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom