Conception Captain Found Guilty of Manslaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was the lack of a roving watch, the lack of fire training to the crew, and the lack of a proper escape exit that caused the tragedy.

Whether the outcome would have been any different is conjecture, however it is unknown because the mandatory proper training and procedures were not followed. Unfortunately, the escape exit was proper, according to the USCG.

Battery charging was done inside the salon, while those stairs are outside.

And both were separated by a wall that was destroyed in the fire.

And both were separated by a wall that was destroyed in the fire.

That wall would change the speed and direction that the fire spread. The ATF did many recreations to find what matched the evidence and is the best we can go on as for the source of the fire. Anything beyond that is pure speculation.

I don't think it is a bad idea to figure out safe battery charging solutions on boats. I think that battery charging cabinets that would be lined with fire boards and possibly automatic fire suppression systems, would likely be the ideal solution to handle it.

Everytime I read about the Conception, it breaks my heart.
Looks the victims in this article. They went out to dive and have a great time, not burn to death.
Oh my God; so sad.:sadness:

I can't watch, read or hear these records of the victims' last moments, just too much to bear. May Allah gives the families, friends and loved ones of the victims the strength and patience to endure the huge loss.

There are details in the following article I hadn't read before - evidently they recovered video showing all passengers below decks were awake during the fire (as opposed to dying from smoke inhalation in their sleep). The audio quotes are heartbreaking.

The most important fact about that is the video is time stamped 3 minutes after the captain called 911 and jumped in the water to save himself. The crew who had never been trained to use the fire equipment could have been using it all the time if they knew how.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom