biggest issues diving as a female

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have seen ONE christmas ladder that I thought was built correctly. The rungs are flat NOT circular - much more comfortable, especially when barefoot. Also, the ladder had small rounded vertical stops on the outside of each rung. This prevented your foot from sliding off the ladder laterally and the diver cracking their chin on the ladder. Why all ladders don't have a 3/4" lip to prevent this was always a mystery to me. My buddy had a ladder made with probably 9-10 inch rung spacing - much easier to climb.

Speaking of ladders. I'm a shorty, but pretty fit. The distance between rungs isn't the problem. It's the last step getting onto the boat. Suddenly the ladder stops, and nothing to grab on to, or if there is, it's wide and difficult to grasp.

The she-pee is awesome. Never thought of packing it along on a dive trip. Thanks for the suggestion.

Other woman issues? wetsuits not big enough in the front, small shoulders, legs too long.
Unisex is great unless you gots boobs.
I use a kids mouthpiece, much more comfy
Changing out of dive suit in public (I do a lot of beach diving). The ponchos are OK, taking your top off (or pulling anything over your head) is nearly impossible.

Oh, golly, I've just made do with so many things over the years, I can't think of anything else.

Now, where's my sherpa?

I think we need to spend the next 100 years under matriarchal rule just so sports, clothing, medicine, science, society, etc., etc. can finally bring women's issues to the same level that men get.

Seriously. Men have basically excluded women from any decision making roles since the dawn of time and now all of you are stuck with either pretending to have a penis or making due without one. Time for a revolution, ladies.

Uterus's Unite!

I have seen ONE christmas ladder that I thought was built correctly. The rungs are flat NOT circular - much more comfortable, especially when barefoot. Also, the ladder had small rounded vertical stops on the outside of each rung. This prevented your foot from sliding off the ladder laterally and the diver cracking their chin on the ladder. Why all ladders don't have a 3/4" lip to prevent this was always a mystery to me. My buddy had a ladder made with probably 9-10 inch rung spacing - much easier to climb.
The lip is specifically not there because it will cut your foot or boot if you accidentally step down on it. Christmas tree ladders are typically used on boats that deal with rough sea conditions where you are getting thrown around while boarding and climbing. Missteps happen often. I have found more security with making the rungs longer than adding a stop on a skinny ladder. The flat tops are doable but it adds more cost. Most people don't even want the rungs knurled as it is cheaper to just wrap tape around it every year.

Speaking of ladders. I'm a shorty, but pretty fit. The distance between rungs isn't the problem. It's the last step getting onto the boat. Suddenly the ladder stops, and nothing to grab on to, or if there is, it's wide and difficult to grasp.
If I have to bend my knees to the point that my heels are a few inches from my butt - a deep squat - it's tough for me to pull myself up with the weight of my kit and tank. When that happens I need to use upper body strength to pull me up, and if the only thing available to grab is a rope, it's not stable enough. I'd need hand rails, not a board on the boat as it's too far away to be helpful. Even with hand rails I can feel my legs wanting to give out (this is esp true when wearing a lot of neoprene and more added weight) - that's when I take my kit off in the water. Every time I see a crew member lifting those heavy kits I think "when you're my age you're going to feel this". :(

If I have to bend my knees to the point that my heels are a few inches from my butt - a deep squat - it's tough for me to pull myself up with the weight of my kit and tank. When that happens I need to use upper body strength to pull me up, and if the only thing available to grab is a rope, it's not stable enough. I'd need hand rails, not a board on the boat as it's too far away to be helpful. Even with hand rails I can feel my legs wanting to give out (this is esp true when wearing a lot of neoprene and more added weight) - that's when I take my kit off in the water. Every time I see a crew member lifting those heavy kits I think "when you're my age you're going to feel this". :(
@Kimela,

Are your weights such that you can hand them up (or clip them off) before starting up a ladder? Like might be done with a weight belt?

rx7diver

Are your weights such that you can hand them up (or clip them off) before starting up a ladder? Like might be done with a weight belt?
I suggested to a woman she try a weight belt and NOT use the integrated weight pocket [she had ones you can remove] so she could pass up the belt and only have a few lbs in the trim pockets, as she was having so much trouble climbing any boat ladder [that's me now as an old fart, I have gone back to a weight belt to make it easy], she is up the ladder before me now.
Even passing up the integrated weights from the pockets is APITA, and a few have been lost to Poseidon.

@Kimela,

rx7diver
I don't generally carry enough that it 'should' matter (6 pounds?) - and they are a little difficult to get to with the Zena. But sometimes I do hand them up. It's still painful if the rungs are too close together. Maybe it's an age thing too?

I don't generally carry enough that it 'should' matter (6 pounds?) - and they are a little difficult to get to with the Zena. But sometimes I do hand them up. It's still painful if the rungs are too close together. Maybe it's an age thing too?
I agree, 6 lbs shouldn't matter.

I'm wondering now if having a workout routine that involves a StairMaster (or similar) would help? Or walking up and down stadium or arena or bleacher stairs (but absolutely don't fall!)? Eventually, you could wear your kid's school backpack with a couple of weights in it as you work out. Add more weight as you get stronger. I have a friend who prepared for an upcoming backpacking trip along the Appalachian Trail using both of these workouts. Worked very well for her. Not quite the same as climbing a boat ladder in dive gear, but maybe similar enough.

Good Luck,
rx7diver

I agree, 6 lbs shouldn't matter.

I'm wondering now if having a workout routine that involves a StairMaster (or similar) would help? Or walking up and down stadium or arena or bleacher stairs (but absolutely don't fall!)? Eventually, you could wear your kid's school backpack with a couple of weights in it as you work out. Add more weight as you get stronger. I have a friend who prepared for an upcoming backpacking trip along the Appalachian Trail using both of these workouts. Worked very well for her. Not quite the same as climbing a boat ladder in dive gear, but maybe similar enough.

Good Luck,
rx7diver
I think we got lost in this question. Initially I was referring to ladders that have a longer than average depth between steps. Those are tough for my short legs no matter how much weight I'm carrying. There was one boat that had those in the Philippines and it was challenging, but most of the time I got back on the boat with my kit on. Most of our diving is in Cozumel and I have no problems getting back on the boat even when I'm carrying 10 pounds and wearing a 5mil. More leg strength or better cardiovascular health won't make my legs grow (or I'd be exercising more than I already am!). :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom