Backup Computer with different algorithm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Safest is arguable.
Most comfortable? I don't get that at all. My backup computer is quite comfortable. I wear it everyday. Doesn't get much more comfortable than that.
I'll give you the budget one. Perhaps. It will depend on the particular gauge and watch. Some versions will definitely not be the most budget friendly.

Aah. So that must mean that the incidents of DCS among computer divers is significantly higher than those that just use tables, right? If that were the case, we would certainly hear organizations like DAN cautioning against using computers. I'll wait.

Diving with the guidance of a computer is not a guarantee against DCS. The same can be said for using tables.
And now let's read the operating instructions for all dive computers of all manufacturers.
For example the best Shearwater Peregrine:

This computer has bugs. Although we haven’t found them all yet, they are there. It is certain that there are things that this computer does that either we didn’t think about or planned for it to do something different. Never risk your life on only one source of information. Use a second computer or tables. If you choose to make riskier dives, obtain the proper training and work up to them slowly to gain experience.
This computer will fail. It is not whether it will fail but when it will fail. Do not depend on it. Always have a plan for how to handle failures. Automatic systems are no substitute for knowledge and training.
No technology will keep you alive. Knowledge, skill, and practiced procedures are your best defense (except for not doing the dive, of course).
About safest - the capillary will remain operational even at kilometer depths! Yes, the tag will be impossible to read, but it will work.
And recommendation from Greg Deskin - author and owner Scuba-Info.
Depth Gauges are like the trip meter in our car, but are far more important. The purpose of the depth gauge is to tell the diver their maximum depth and current depth. These are important calculations in understanding the Nitrogen Tissue Loading discussed in our dive tables. Remember to use the dive tables effectively; we need to know our maximum depth and dive time. The timing device or watch is a critical component of this system. Because the dive table calculations are a hassle, many divers choose to use a diving computer to handle these calculations. I still recommend a backup depth gauge and watch, just incase the computer has a malfunction.

And now let's read the operating instructions for all dive computers of all manufacturers.
For example the best Shearwater Peregrine:
I don't get your point here. That warning appears in various forms all over the place. I'm guessing the Lawyers had a hand in that, even though the Shearwater warning is written a bit more playful than typical legalese.

I carry two dive computers, so I'm following Shearwater's advice.
About safest - the capillary will remain operational even at kilometer depths! Yes, the tag will be impossible to read, but it will work.
And recommendation from Greg Deskin - author and owner Scuba-Info.
OK, so the capillary will work reliably. I never said it wouldn't. You said it was safer. In order to use the capillary depth gauge, you also need to use a watch and tables. Pretty much no one dives tables any more, and for a good reason. Tables were fine when that was the only option. Computers have been around for many years and don't seem to be going anywhere. In many OW classes, tables aren't taught anymore.

Theoretically, yes, the shorter dive times provided by a table compared to a computer should mean it's safer. In reality, it isn't. DCS incidents remain low.

I dive with 2 different computers. If one craps out, I do have one I can use.

I could see using the same algorithm being useful in a number of circumstances. One would be where you want to push your deco time.
The other would be if you have a medical issue and want to dive really conservative.

My computers use different algorithms and they are in fairly close agreement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom