Info Backscatter Hybrid Flash HF-01: preliminary review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious, does it also work with Sony cameras with a built-in TTL flash (RX100, A6000-6500) or only the dedicated trigger?
No it will not work with a built in flash. This is a proprietary signal from the trigger to the Hybrid Flash. It is actual Sony TTL being communicated, not slave or mimic TTL. This is also why it will not work with any 3rd party TTL triggers.

I have been testing Sony TTL in the field for quite a while. It works great for those scenarios where TTL works. At this point it's just the manufacturing process for the Sony TTL trigger. I anticipate it coming out sometime this summer. Canon will have to wait a little while longer... :wink:
Would it be safe to assume that Nikon TTL support is in the same boat as Canon and will have to wait a little longer there as well?

How will such support be added for new capabilities? Is there user updatable firmware? How does that work?

How will such support be added for new capabilities? Is there user updatable firmware? How does that work?
If you are referring to TTL, Olympus/OM and Sony are built in the firmware from the start of shipping but the Sony trigger won't be available until later this summer. Future Canon and Nikon TTL will need firmware updates and their own trigger. Firmware is not user upgradeable, but can be sent in to Backscatter or a qualified Backscatter authorized dealer for the upgrade.

Just want to clear up the battery debate. The Hybrid Flash requires 21700 batteries with at least 15A current. Currently Nitecore has 5300 and 6000mah batteries with a 20A draw, which is what we recommend and the only batteries we approve right now for the Hybrid Flash. The Xtar 21700 batteries only have a 10A draw which is fine for the Mini Flash 2 and Macro Wide 4300 video light. The Xtar batteries internal protection circuitry will shut down the battery when drawing more than 10A current. This will happen immediately when turning on the flash as it starts to charge the capacitors. The protection circuit prevents over discharge, and this is why you should always use protected Li-ion batteries in consumer devices! :thumb:

Hi Jim,

Thank you for clearing this up...:thumb:

I have another question related to the short circuit protection of both XTAR and Nitecore, just out of curiosity (I hope it will never happen, but unfortunately, it can happen sometimes):

What will happen, when the battery compartment is flooded with salt water?
Will the short circuit protection shut down the batteries and prevent excessive discharge and electrolysis?
Will the short circuit protection survive the flooding and if not, what will happen next (did you test this out?; I really hope the batteries will not explode?)?

Thanks, Wolfgang

Hi Jim,

Thank you for clearing this up...:thumb:

I have another question related to the short circuit protection of both XTAR and Nitecore, just out of curiosity (I hope it will never happen, but unfortunately, it can happen sometimes):

What will happen, when the battery compartment is flooded with salt water?
Will the short circuit protection shut down the batteries and prevent excessive discharge and electrolysis?
Will the short circuit protection survive the flooding and if not, what will happen next (did you test this out?; I really hope the batteries will not explode?)?

Thanks, Wolfgang
We tested these batteries here a while ago when we were first coming out with the Mini Flash 1 and 4300 macro wide video light. I can't speak to exactly what the battery manufacturers are doing with their engineering inside but after our tests, both brands shut down during short circuit. After flooding do not attempt to use the batteries again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom